What do we encourage?
We promote following ideas for the allotment garden, which we consider as good:
- Persons entitled to establish an allotment are: farmers, an organization of farmers, an organization related to agriculture, city (town, village) authorities or an NPO organization.
- Even, if a person establishing allotment gardens is an incorporated company etc., we consider that their establishment is good, if they do not make high profits while managing the allotment gardens.
- The allotment garden has a users' (gardeners') organisation and a good partnership exists between its representative and the allotment garden owner.
- Although if there is no user organisation on site, an owner can get and establish a users' cooperation.
- A gardener uses his allotment satisfactorily and cooperates in the management of the whole allotment garden site.
- There is a rule concerning the management and the use of the allotment garden.
- The users alternate and they help each other if needed.
- The gardener can use the same allotment for a long period.
- A user cultivates his allotment and grows the crops he desires.
- A user strives to improve the soil where crops grow up.
- A user understands the problem of repeated planting, and so performs a crop rotation.
- A user fully performs weeding-out management in order not to cause problems to the surrounding users.
Special expertise of the federation :
Japan does not have an organization or public research institutes etc. which bear the technical knowledge of an allotment garden. Moreover, there was no scholar specialised in allotment garden questions.
We have mastered the knowledge and technology of an allotment garden, while studying agriculture, environment, a social system, etc. And during our allotment garden activities. We got various information and gained knowledge from Europe.
As a leader who can teach at the spot of allotment garden activity, we trained the allotment garden coordinators and have attested them as practical area leaders
Moreover, we select people who have in various domains the technical knowledge about an allotment garden.We train those people to a specialist as a supporter for an allotment garden coordinator to work smoothly.We have appointed them then as an allotment garden master.
1. In the rural areas surrounding metropolises, such as Tokyo, strong job offer power, such as companies, absorbs rural young men and the backbone's labor force to an urban office. For this reason, fallow farmland spreads and old farmhouse residences become a vacant room.
When all the related problems are solved, it is possible to establish an allotment garden in fallow farmland and to use the vacant farmhouse residence as a clubhouse for a leisure-time activity.
Now, we are tackling this subject.
2. The metropolis in Japan has few park green-tract-of-land spaces, and is inferior in naturalistic environment. For these reasons, the trial is made to create a small allotment garden between the buildings of collective housing.
We are asked for various advice as far as this question is concerned.